This Saturday I ran a 6K trail run with Sarah Weight from our ward. Let me tell you, hell just doesn't really seem to describe the experience. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but I did want to quit midway through it. And then I remembered I was in the middle of the woods...I couldn't just quit. Dang.
It was quite the journey. First, it had been raining in Wisconsin for the last week, so I knew the trail was going to be good and muddy. I also knew this because our running group ran the trail the Saturday prior to the race and it was muddy then without having rained for a week straight. I decided to wear my old running shoes to avoid getting my nice new ones totally thrashed. That was mistake #1. I realized that I was getting a blister during the run.
Towards the end, all the up-hill trudging was really aggrevating the situation, so I took my shoes off. Then with about a mile or so left, the course seemed like it was going to be mostly downhill, so I put my shoes back on and started running again. Then we got to a short uphill portion. Crap. Pain. People passing me. Desparation. Then the course leveled out again and I took off to the end (and turned around and passed up those people who had just passed me). For me, I can say that I didn't do too horribly. I beat my first 5K time, which is completely surprising considering this was a longer race with considerable uphill portions, my ipod stopped working mid-run, and I stopped to take my shoes off and then stopped again to put them back on. Amazing. I also didn't come in last. I don't know how many people were after them, but there was a group of about 4 ladies my age that I passed on the last downhill stretch. And I even finished with Sarah Weight in sight, so she didn't completely blow me out of the water, which I was expecting.
My muddy legs:
Sarah's muddy legs:
Sad dirty running shoes:
All in all it has me insanely scared for the half marathon, which is also a trail run. I didn't really understand the full impact of the term trail run until Saturday, so I get close to tears each time I think about the half marathon. I suppose I still have time to train, but man. It's going to kill me.
10 comments:
Haha! I love your commentary on the run! "Desperation!" I completely agree! Let's go to a spa instead of run the half marathon.....just kidding....or am I?
That blister looks awesome! I love battle wounds.
Wow! You are more brave then I am I am just getting into shape and trust me I can not go as far as you!! That's awsome. By the way we now have the internet again and sorry we haven't commented lately you know how moving goes hopefully tonight we will have it updated ;)
Way to go!!! I wouldn't ever even think of attempting such a thing. I'm much more of a movie marathon person :) When you come back to Texas for a visit?
Oh goodness!!! What a blister!
Congrats on finishing and breaking a shorter race's time!
Congratulations! I finished a walk around half the block today, so accomplish that and I'll really be proud. I just saw that I'm on your friends list, and even the first one! You're only not on mine because I couldn't figure out how to do it, so maybe you should tell me...
I want more pictures of those sexy muddy legs!! Delicious! Way to go my love!
Please post more frequently. I am bored in class. Thanks, management.
I cannot believe you ran a half marathon! You are amazing! I also love that you wrote "hell" doesn't quite touch what you went through. It makes me laugh because it will shock the "heck" out of James. =)
Just for clarification...I haven't run the half marathon yet. It's in October. This was just a 6K, so I have a long way to go!
Post a Comment