To all the people who may have been infected by my daughter on the 3 hour bus ride from Madison to Chicago and again on the 3 hour plane ride from Chicago to Houston, I apologize. I promise I didn't know she was contagious.
A (thankfully) uneventful 3 hour bus ride/4 hour wait in the airport/3 hour plane ride with a 3 year old and 5 month old, I am eternally grateful that things went as smoothly as they did. I have learned some patience with motherhood, but I think the Almighty knows my patience isn't THAT tried and blesses me with calm children. So calm, in fact, that they do not tell me when they are sick. Christmas eve comes and Ally starts pulling on her ear and mentions that it hurts. This is the first she has mentioned it, and she's not cranky or running a fever, so I begin the internal debate as to whether or not to take her to the ER. I mean, it's not really an emergency but urgent care isn't open either and since our pediatrician resides in another state (oh, yeah and we are currently without a pediatrician as ours left the Dean Facility to practice closer to home). Sigh. To the ER it is.
Matt takes her in and fortunately they see her right away. The doctor tells Matt that she has very bad infections in BOTH ears and recommends a shot of antibiotics as well as a prescription for oral antibiotics. He cautions that the shot is painful, but necessary for a speedy recovery. Painful indeed, Ally comes home from the hospital limping! He also prescribes tylenol with codeine to "help her sleep." Apparently, codeine has the opposite effect on Ally as shortly thereafter she is literally running in circles in the living room. And the antibiotics are giving her diarrhea, but I guess we'll just ride that one out since I don't have a doctor to call to get a different prescription.
Otherwise, we are loving the warmer weather and mock all those who dare imply that 60 degrees is "cold."
2 comments:
LOL! 60* is definitely NOT cold!
How is Ally feeling now? Mom mentioned that Matt had told her that she was ill and what had happened. Poor thing! I hope the antibiotics kick in and kick it out quickly! Ear infections and plane rides don't mix well at all. At least not for my girls!
I'm glad you have calm children! Sorry to hear about Ally's ear infections! I'm glad you got some help fast. That's funny that you said that the codeine had the opposite affect on her, and that she was running around. Sorry to hear about the diarrhea. That's funny that you said you mock those who complain about 60 degrees being cold! : ) Ha ha! You're an excellent writer, Sarah!
Post a Comment