Friday, January 1, 2010

Experience, Please

I am learning the value of experience. Two years ago when I began looking for a real job, I was highly disappointed at the lack of job opportunities presented to me. After all, I had an advanced degree, shouldn't companies be chomping at the bit to hire me? Over and over again I was told I didn't have enough experience. Frustrated, I wondered how I would ever get that experience since no one would hire me? One person told me, after letting me know they were going with another candidate, that the chosen person was "where [I] would be in five years." In five years, I'll be working at the makeup counter at Dillards because noone will hire me!

Fortunately, that is not the case. I have a great job although not in my field of study, but I did go through a slump at work where I felt very overwhelmed by the learning curve. It's still challenging work and I enjoy it, but I am relieved to have some experience under my belt.

Mostly, I've been thinking about experience as I face the ultimate challenge, parenthood. How in the world am I going to raise moral and valiant young women, while instilling in them values of kindness, generosity, and education, while still focusing on cultivating their individuality and creativity? Will my girls be dancers, singers, musicians, artists, teachers? How do I best discipline? How do I be supportive? How do I protect them without being overprotective?

At Grandpa Joe's birthday, I sat in the living room with two of my aunts and my mom. I was nursing Lily and mentioned that I needed to try to keep an eye on Ally because she was "sneaky." My aunt said, "Oh please. You have 3 experienced mothers in this room. We can outsmart a 3 year old." I regret not living closer to family so I can borrow from their experiences as I test out the waters of motherhood.

3 comments:

Mom's Place said...

Happy New Year Sarah! Hope this year brings you lots of mommy fun! Not the challenging type, just the awesome fun!

Milroys said...

This is why I let you haave kids first. Then when I finally get around to popping out some kiddos you can give me the 411 on all this stuff cause compared to me you'll be an expert.

Think Positive and SMILE! said...

Hey there, Sarah! I'm glad you finally got the job you have! And I hope that one day you'll be MEGA experienced! : ) In regards to discipline for kids, I actually wrote a VERY, very long blog about it back on Saturday, December 13th, 2008, titled, "Screaming is Not Allowed", and added a shorter blog to that on Sunday, December 14th, titled, "And Furthermore"! : ) Read it and see what I believe about discipline. Maybe it'll give you some ideas, or at least something to think about. In regards to cultivating their individuality and creativity, ummm -- I'd say that the discipline thing is most important, and then their creativity and individuality will come on its own. You don't have to DO anything about it. I never thought about that with my son. He just WAS funny and smart. If kids know how to behave, then they will feel good about themselves, because they're being good, and when people feel good about themselves, they will be more apt to be creative and loving. : )