Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Musings of a bad mom

So I have been feeling a little guilty lately. Matt had a job interview on Monday that would be a great opportunity for him. I am fully supportive of him going back to work (as long as he doesn't quit his schooling at night), but there is one big issue in a little tiny package: Ally. Who is going to take care of my baby girl while we are both working? I wish the answer was me, but that doesn't seem to be feasible at this point in our lives. We found a daycare center, and to be honest, the program is great. They have a very active and structured day, which is probably better for her than watching SpongeBob all day long. I just feel bad that the majority of her day will be spent with people other than her family. So I have made a few resolutions to ensure that the time we spend together is quality time:
1. No TV watching until Ally goes to bed. We will spend our evenings playing games, reading books, etc.
2. Make dinner. Previously, I have been so busy with school that I never really got in a habit of making dinner. Everyone got fed, but it hasn't always been the sit- down-at-the-table-talk-about-your-day kind of meal. Not only that, but Ally usually sits in her high chair and colors or snacks while I make dinner and it is a good opportunity to talk to her and spend time with her.
3. I will work out before work or after Ally goes to bed, but not waste the time I have with her.
I hope these things (and I'm sure more will be added to the list) will help me feel better about what we are doing. If she winds up being a social delinquent, though, I'm sure I will blame it on the daycare.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That is a tough break. I had a nanny growing up and I turned out just fine. She did feed me peanut butter, butter, and cheese sandwiches though- so i grew up thinking that that was a normal, healthy sandwich to eat... anyway- I hope that daycare works out and that she likes it.

Unknown said...

Your doing just fine ;) besides look at it this way she will be getting lots of interaction with other kids that is so important and it will make it all that much more special when you are all together. I had the hardest time when my son first started preschool crazy huh? Now I see how much he loves the other kids. Also I worked at a day care once... just remember if she looks forward to going then you know it's a good sign ;)

Erin said...

I am sure that Ally will have a great time at daycare. Afterall, she might really enjoy the socializing with other kids (most kids don't get to do that a whole lot) and it will make you a better mom because, like you said, the time you spend together will be real quality time. Don't be too hard on yourself, you shouldn't feel pressure to fit into a mold anyway. Ally is beautiful and turning out just fine!