Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Books I've Read

Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I thought this was a great insight to the development of adolescent girls...not to mention I always appreciate reaffirmations of what I have been taught as far as parenting styles go...According to Dr. Pipher, girls who survive adolescence best come from homes that are strict but loving. A laissez faire attitude of raising teenage girls doesn't work. Although they will fight you to make their own decisions, they aren't equipped emotionally to handle adult situations. (Not that they can't make ANY decisions, there just have to be boundaries). We need to be firm and strong and not give in to their demands just because we're tired or it's easier.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

MB said...

Hi! this is Misty, I knew your family in TX. Remember me? I saw the link to your blog on Matthew's blog. Anyway, I love Reviving Ophelia! It is a great book. I am now reading a similar book called "Real Boys" about how to raise a healthy young man. I really suggest it.