So, this blog has taken a turn in its original planned update. I decided to log in and do a little update, but my computer took so long to load and then froze and then had to be restarted and now 30 minutes later, I have forgotten the pleasant thoughts that I originally planned and all I can think about is killing my computer.
A little over a year ago, I was trying to finish up my thesis work on an older, but decent (ha) laptop from home. This saved me from having to spend late nights on the lab computer and allowed me to spend more time with my family. Then the computer went nuts. The arizona heat didn't help, but the damn thing kept overheating. Mid sentence and POOF! The screen would go black, all work was gone. And I would wait a few minutes and restart, but just as Windows finished loading..POOF! Too hot again.
Matt said that if we sold the laptop and all the accessories for it (DVD burner, etc.) we could get a new laptop and it would only cost us a couple hundred difference. I said, "Go. Now. Godspeed." And sent him off to BestBuy to get us a new laptop.
Now it's been a year, and although there is no chance in hell of overheating during a Wisconsin winter, this laptop is prooving to be just as frustrating. I have one, just ONE, open program. One teeny tiny Internet Explorer window open and my computer freaks out. Dual processor, my butt. At work I have a minimum of 5 IE windows open, at least 5 other programs up and running, and throw in a mozilla window or two. What is wrong with my computer? We've moved quite a bit of stuff onto our external hard-drive, but still no luck. I've taken everything it will allow me out of the Startup programs. Our virus/Spyware always comes back "clean." I don't know what else to do, but 45 minutes later...there is my post. Was it worth it?
3 comments:
A very worth it post! I had the same problems with my laptop not too long ago, I finally broke down and bought a new desktop. But when I had my laptop something called Disk keeper really seemed to help. It just helped clean up the memory I think, I'm no expert though, good luck!
I am so, so sorry! Our old computer was at least as frustrating. We got a virus the day we got it and, even 5 wipes later, we couldn't get rid of it. So we often ended up with "the blue screen of death" after considerable time and effort put into a project or an email. Sooo annoying! Combine that with dial-up and I really only got on to pay bills, knowing I would be on there an hour to pay THREE!!!
I actually surprised James with this one last year. My final six months worth of piano lessons all saved up. And I couldn't be happier. Well, I guess I could be. We need an external hard-drive or something else too to store all our pictures on. It's really starting to slow things down. Oh, the projects. Oh, the money.
I love the way you wrote this post. I can feel your frustration, yet you are amazingly calm and even keep the entertainment value alive with the sarcastic comments!
Good luck on getting a new computer!
And I was quite proud of my censorship use of "butt" instead of well, you know. :)
Post a Comment